Choosing The Right Stretch Wrap Gauge Thickness
Palletized loads need protection from versatile and flexible packaging material. That’s where the stretch wrap comes in. It is an ideal option to protect items from substances that can be quite harmful. Its stretchiness comes in handy to keep the packages on a pallet together.
The role of gauge thickness
Apart from choosing the right type of stretch wrap, it is equally necessary to go for an appropriate size. It’s the size that determines the ability of the stretch wrap to withstand pressure. Each stretch wrap can help secure a specific amount of weight. So, you are going to have to take into consideration the weight of your shipment while choosing from different sizes of stretch film. If you are securing heavier items, you will need to consider using stretch film with a thicker gauge. Using such film for lighter items can result in a waste of packaging resources.
Different gauge thicknesses
Here are some gauge thicknesses that you can consider while getting stretch film for your packaging applications.
- 37 Stretch Wrap Gauge: This wrap is actually the 80-gauge film that has been pre-stretched to ease its application on the pallets and shipments. The film of this gauge size can secure shipments of up to 800 lbs.
- 47 Stretch Wrap Gauge: The film with this hybrid gauge thickness typically consists of resin. It is a tighter and stiffer film that doesn’t offer much stretchiness. It has the stretch of a standard 60-gauge film, and it can secure loads of up to 1800 lbs.
- 60 Stretch Wrap Gauge: You can use film with this gauge thickness to secure pallets with loads of up to 1800 lbs.
- 63 Stretch Wrap Gauge: While this stretch wrap film is only 3 microns thicker than the standard 60-gauge film, it offers greater resistance to tears and punctures. You can use this film to secure loads of up to 2,200 lbs.
- 70-80 Stretch Wrap Gauge: This gauge variety is ideal for many packaging applications due to its versatility. Both these films can secure loads of up to 2200-2400 lbs.
- 90, 100, and 115 Stretch Wrap Thickness: The 90-gauge thickness of the stretch film falls into the category of highly resistant stretch wrap film. Other films in this category include 100 and 115 gauge thickness stretch wrap films. The 90-gauge thickness film is ideal for securing loads of up to 2,600 lbs. And 100 & 115 gauge films can secure pallets having loads of up to 3000 lbs.
- 150 Stretch Wrap Gauge: This thickest variety of stretch wrap film is ideal for securing irregularly shaped loads and items.
Based on the type and weight of your pallet load, you will need to choose the right stretch wrap film. Although you can choose a higher gauge thickness for lighter loads, it may turn out to be counterproductive in terms of packaging resources. Make sure to go for the gauge thickness that your pallet loads need. For more information in this regard, you may want to speak to a packaging consultant.